Monday, September 24, 2012

Welcome to "Simply My Opinion"!

Welcome to my new blog.  Simply My Opinion.  As opposed to my other blog.  Yes I have another blog.  That one is for exposing the truths and lies about Christianity and the Bible today.  It's pretty controversial and makes most people upset because it goes against their deepest core beliefs.  More than anything I want the truth - God's Truth.  To me, not much else matters if it doesn't line up with that.

This blog is going to be a bit different.  I've started a new chapter in my life and want to keep a record of it.  Someone told me awhile ago that I should start writing about it but you know how that goes, you put it off and pretty soon a year has passed.  Today seems to be the day.

This blog is going to be about this and about that.  What I think is important right now.  One day it might be home schooling, the next a delicious home cooked meal (I'm a chef) and the next might be about our adoption journey.  Today is just some background on who I am.

As I said, I'm a chef.  I've loved cooking all my life and decided to go to culinary arts school.  I worked in a restaurant for awhile, first as a Garde Manger (pantry chef for those who don't speak French) and then as Pastry Chef.  I also did a lot of odd jobs around the restaurant and learned a lot about food.  In April of this year my husband went back to work and we switched roles at home.  You see, although we are in our 50's we still have two children at home.  Did I say that we have 6 altogether?  More on that another day.  Anyway, we decided when they were young that we would home school them and Tom has held up that end of things until now.  He is now the breadwinner (interesting saying) and I'm home baking the bread and teaching our children.

I LOVE IT!  Yes, I do.  After years of working I get to stay home and cook and clean and take care of the children.  And it's GREAT!  Well, the cleaning part not so much but it's not that bad either.  So we have an 8th grader and 6th grader and in home schooling I get to learn all over again.  I'm having fun with algebra and history and I get to teach them Bible, too.  N + 63 = 94.  Love it!!

And we are adopting!  Six children was just not enough.  HA! No, it's not really like that.  We didn't intend to adopt, it just kind of fell into our laps.  Well, Vlad fell into our family.  It's a God thing for sure.

Oh!  That's an important part of who I am.  I am the daughter of the Most High God - Yahweh!  God of the Bible.  Yes that's His Name.  I talk about Him by His Name, not His Title.

Tom and I have learned (mostly the hard way) that we have to be obedient to Him when He tells us to do something.  Toward the end of July I heard about a teenage boy from Ukraine that needed a family in a hurry to finish out hosting him this summer.  He was currently with a family in Minnesota and it wasn't working out because they had other things going on.  We stepped up and brought him into our home for what was supposed to be 3 weeks.

Well after about a week with us Tom turned to me one morning before work and said that we needed to adopt him.  Yahweh was telling both of us that this boy was ours and we needed to make that happen.

(That reminds me that I need to write something about faith and works but not right now so you'll have to wait for that one).

Anyway, we were completely unprepared for this venture.  I guess that most people, when deciding to adopt, spend a year or so saving money and doing paperwork and home studies, etc.  We are in the middle of trying to do this in a couple of months.  Vlad went back to Ukraine on August 27th and we miss him so much.  Our goal is to have him back with us by the end of the year.  What a crazy thing this is. 

So get ready for lots of my opinions and stories here.  You never know what I'm going to talk about.

This a good place for me to state my opinion because people have the option of either reading it or not.  A lot of what I say can be controversial.  You can argue the point with me or not.  I don't mind a good debate either as long as there is no name calling.  Attack the argument, not the person. 

Bottom line ~  it is Simply My Opinion!


2 comments:

  1. I guess I will be the first to comment, how fun. I love this, this is just so cool. I can't wait to read it all the time. I love hearing about your adventures. I had no idea that you home schooled your children. Very Brave. I never did that and actually had no desire, but that is so great for you guys. Thanks for sharing your life with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you had 6 children! Actually, I don't think most people save for a year before adopting (Many of us make the decision, then think about the funding). A lot of people do fundraising, borrow funds, or cash-in retirement funds in order to adopt. I am happy you are doing this blog. I'd love to hear about your adoption progress. AND would love to hear about home-schooling. I am considering homeschooling our son. I am praying you'll have the funds and airline tickets for your adoption journey. It is all worth it. You are a wonderful lady. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete